Georgia Innocence Project
2645 North Decatur Road
Decatur, GA 30033
Phone: (404) 373-4433
Please send Undisclosed podcast related questions to
If you have specific volunteer-related questions, please contact
TO APPLY FOR OUR HELP, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:
WHAT KINDS OF CASES DOES THE GEORGIA INNOCENCE PROJECT ACCEPT?
We have strict case acceptance criteria, all of which must be met before we can take a case:
- Your identity must be in question—meaning there must be a way to challenge someone’s identification of you; All discretionary appeals must be completed and no other attorney can be working on your criminal case right now
- The alleged crime must have happened in Georgia or Alabama
- You must have at least three years left on your prison sentence
- There must be some evidence that has DNA or other biological material that can be tested to prove your innocence
— You must claim to be innocent of all involvement in the crime. We cannot accept your case if:
— You believe you are not guilty because of accident, self-defense or a mental defense
— You were convicted of a sexual assault for a sexual encounter that you say was consensual
— You agree that you played any role in the crime, even a minor role
— You believe you should have been convicted of a different crime or should have a shorter sentence.
HOW DO I APPLY TO THE GEORGIA INNOCENCE PROJECT?
You must submit your request to us in writing via U.S. Mail. We will only screen requests from the person convicted of the crime, not from friends or family members. Your letter should be clear and readable. Please include your name, contact information, and GDC or AIS number. Also include:
- A description of the crime you of which you were convicted. Include the key facts according to you and according to the state.
- A description of any physical evidence that still exists and might contain untested biological evidence. This might be sperm, semen, a rape kit, saliva, skin cells, blood or other biological material.
For more information, please visit the Inmate Q&A page.
OTHER CONTACT INFORMATION:
Steve Noakes, Operations Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Melissa Arends, Financial Manager: email@example.com
Clare Gilbert, Interim Director: firstname.lastname@example.org